Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Day 12 – Chasing yogi for no jelly beans

Sorry I’m so late posting today. Went for a very early morning Hot Air Balloon flight.. Got home, wasn’t feeling well, had a nap, and woke to a breaking news alert. Police shoot bear in Gatineau soon after Ottawa police shoot yet another moose in Ottawa making it the 3rd moose killed in the past 2 weeks.
The bear? Well decided to go pursue that story for images.
Drove around all over the place trying to figure out where the heck the “shooting” was.
Gatineau police usually get a little passionate "maybe" even a bit dramatic about their scenes when an officer discharges their weapon. I figured there would be something to document.
A long story short I found out all the details and even more than police released to the media outlets.
I also managed to secure video footage of the bear going into garbage bins of a store, and grabbing an innocent bag of treats, just prior to getting shot. It ran off into the woods where it was lost track of.
It was a young black bear.
So needless to say a great deal of leg work and prying trying to score what i did...
I was all excited about my exclusive discovery. Called into my outlet and tried to pawn it off as an assignment. I’m a photo dude so the freelance video angle is new for me and outlet... but I’m sitting on gold here.. it’s gotta be worth something!
“We don’t pay for video we get that for free from readers.(unless full-time staff shoot it)”
I talk further with photo editor.. great guy... but it’s an area that hasn’t been touched by other freelancers and they can’t commit to it and have to pass.
If I sent this in free.. it would be getting insane traffic right now!
So.. basically I wasted several hours of my life mining unwanted gold.
Additionally.. the fact I didn’t agree to the rate cuts mentioned in an earlier post for my SPEC images used online (like 50% of the freelancers did) they can’t use it for online anyways.
Which of course is where you need to view videos!
I’m so depressed! The new cut rate is so embarrassing low I do not understand how it could have be accepted by one let alone a few. I’d need to get 500 images published just to pay for latest gear purchased. What’s wrong with this picture?
Thank you mr/mrs “reader submitted photo” whoever you are, no food for me again today! LOL
Africa,,, I hear you calling!
Most sincerely... Steve GB

.
.
please
share on:facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment