Friday, June 25, 2010

Day 21 - Get your haircut and get a real job!

(post edit below)

Well.. After 45 years It seems about that time!
I used to like that George Thorogood tune until a barn dance many moons ago in a small town I used to live in close to my parents.
Every year one of the farmers hosted a great big barn dance that drew in people from all over the county. It was my first time attending it and also 1st time I ever “partied” with my folks.
I wouldn’t call it partying to the level I USED to party.. but there was a pinch of booze involved none the less.
It was a strange night but a couple of things stuck out.
One.. a stoner buddy I brought along that was running on his last remaining brain cells… and his inability to spell YMCA in the traditional method of dance 99.9 % of humanity seems to know,
which in turn stimulated a couple of grins, rolling eyes and frowns from my parents.
Followed shortly by my conservative hard working step dad, (whom, prior to this evening, I had never seen polish off an entire beer before retiring it to the sink) air-banding “Get a Haircut and Get a Real Job” right in my face. EEEsh.. I creep out thinking about it.
Perfectly good song.. ruined. :P
Since then I have cut my hair of course.. That was a pretty hard thing to do…
It seemed my last defiance against an establishment I felt I needed a rub against the grain… but it was long overdo!
After a day or so of trauma… I actually started feeling free!
The job thing… well.. I thought going out and doing my own things that I love and making money at them was the way to live!
My dad worked at GM.. made good money… good benefits.
Is that living? It’s being responsible yes.. but I see countless living this type of life and MY personal observation is NONE of them are happy at it. Especially after 10-20-20-40 years go by.

Me…? Now? Am I happy?
I was, but all these issues that I’ve spoke of in earlier posts (markets etc) are causing me to evaluate the “responsibility” level in my life.
I was speaking with a friend and colleague last night (a talented, experienced photographer himself) and we were both mentioning we just have to go “get a real job!”
I don’t know what’s worse… A long term, perhaps middle age, employee getting laid off from the only work he/she knows, a type of work no longer in demand. Or, someone that’s been living free to the wind their whole lives, doing things they love, to find work in something they probably won’t enjoy?
I’m forced to think now …. I need a REALLY creative resume writer and to get my resume in the hands of a really creative, well paying, employer!
At least for some part time/contract work.
There… I admitted it to myself in front of the whole world!


POST EDIT:
Just to be clear.. I'm still planning this adventure.
It's come clearer to me that I have to better manage and structure my life to handle it.
I do not want my efforts to shun responsibilities.
There is obviously a great deal of finances needed to to pull this off and As I've started this blog... as much as I'd like to stumble upon a money tree and take off next week .. I come to know I need to plant a money tree 1st!


On a better “NOTE” Here’s a pic of Smokey Robinson I shot yesterday.
.
.


share on:facebook

2 comments:

  1. Well Steve, i'm kind of speechless to tell you the truth. But encouraged all at the same time. I'm very caught up with a sick dog i've been nursing for the last two weeks. He doesn't seem to be getting any better so I'm spending a lot of time with him. Socrates my Bernese Mountain Dog. Not sure why I'm sharing this but it's just one of those things.
    I don't know any Resume writers but wish you luck on that front. As time goes by maybe things will change and you and I can have an afternoon together. I don't think you have to give up on everything but that is a topic for a different time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't plan on giving up Don...!
    Feeling like it sometimes… and doing are totally different things!
    just re-managing, re-structuring, re-prioritising

    I guess I’m just plain RE’ing my life :)

    ReplyDelete